The first 10 days of the 100th Giro d’Italia have drawn huge amounts of interest from fans globally, and from the worldwide media. While Nairo Quintana is in the Maglia Rosa after winning at the Blockhaus, here are a few numbers as we approach the half way stage:
- The final part of yesterday’s stage was watched on TV by 2,749 million viewers, with a share of 22%.
- The Giro d’Italia’s Twitter profile has exceeded 19.5 million views and the hashtag #Giro100 has become highly popular among participating teams and riders.
- The official website giroditalia.it had more than 4.5 million visitors during the first week of the event, which is a 50% increase compared to last year.
- The Giro’s Facebook page now has more than 1 million fans, and has recorded 5.5 million video views.
- On Instagram the Giro d’Italia has more than 1 million fans, with many images and stories published every day.
- 1,600 media representatives have been accredited so far, including the locals in each region visited in the first half of the 100th Giro.
- The Ride Green project is highly successful – 31.7 metric tons of rubbish was collected from the first nine stages, 88% of which will be recycled.
- 190 riders are due to start Stage 10, a 39.8km Individual Time Trial from Foligno to Montefalco. The first rider in action will be Matteo Pelucchi at 12.45; the last starter will be Nairo Quintana at 16.24.