ORICA-SCOTT are delighted to announce that the current UCI ranked number one female rider, Annemiek van Vleuten, will continue with the Australian outfit for the coming two seasons.
The Dutch time trial champion has enjoyed a phenomenal season, claiming eight UCI victories for ORICA-SCOTT in 2017. The 34-year-old credits the atmosphere within the squad that has enabled her to achieve such successes.
“I feel at home with ORICA-SCOTT and I had my best season ever this year so I am really happy to continue with them,” Van Vleuten explained. “The team gives me all the support and freedom I need.”
“I enjoy cycling more than I ever did before and the atmosphere within ORICA-SCOTT is one of the reasons I feel so good.”
After exceeding expectations in 2016, Van Vleuten and team sport director Gene Bates set clear targets heading into 2017 and set out achieving them.
“I never would have thought I would be able to target general classification in a hilly stage race,” Van Vleuten continued. “Gene Bates challenged me last year to set new goals and target the Giro Rosa and it was great to have all the girls behind this idea and supporting me for 10 days, this was very special.”
“I’ve developed into more of a GC rider this year and this is thanks to the team and my teammates and now I am looking forward to seeing what we can achieve next year together.”
With a wealth of experience under her belt, Van Vleuten is a valued member of the team, not only being a great leader and winning races but also motivating and guiding the younger riders, sharing her knowledge as she continues to progress each year herself.
“We are very pleased that Annemiek has chosen to stay with our team for 2018,” said Bates. “Annemiek is a vital part of our team, both on and off the bike. Her professional approach and ‘never give in’ attitude is something that we really value in our group.”
“We are excited about lifting the bar again next year and working on new challenges together.”
Annemiek van Vleuten
Date of Birth: 8 October 1982 (34)
Place of birth: Vleuten, the Netherlands
Turned Pro: 2008
– 1st Boels Rental Ladies Tour – GC
– 1st Boels Rental Ladies Tour – Stage 3 (ITT)
– 1st Boels Rental Ladies Tour – Prologue
– 1st La Course by Le Tour de France
– 1st Giro d’Italia Internazionale Feminile – Mountains Classification
– 1st Giro d’Italia Internazionale Feminile – Points Classification
– 1st Giro d’Italia Internazionale Feminile – Stage 5 (ITT)
– 1st Giro d’Italia Internazionale Feminile – Stage 2
– 1st National Championships – (ITT)
– 1st Emakumeen XXX. Bira – Stage 4
– 1st Durango-Durango Emakumeen Saria
– 1st Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race
– 1st Festival Luxembourgeois du cyclisme féminin Elsy Jacobs – Prologue
– 1st Auensteiner-Radsporttage – Stage 2a
– Three-time Giro d’Italia Internazionale Femminile stage winner (’14 and ’15)
– Classics victories at 2011 Tour of Flanders, GP de Plouay-Bretagne & Open de Suède Vargarda
– Tour wins at Lotto Belisol Belgium Tour (’14) and Route de France (’10)
– Former Dutch time trial (’14) and road race (’12) champion
– Overall 2011 World Cup winner